Monday, August 2, 2010

My Design Career

Since I was small, I’ve been interested in looking at attractive products. A product with good aesthetics or special functions always catches my eye.

I started to enjoy designing products since high school when I first had a chance to do a product design project in the D&T class. I chose to design a salt and pepper container for the project. I had enjoyed every step of designing and manufacturing of the product. As I went through the project, I realize a lot of things that I learnt from my outside school courses like 3D Animation and art lessons had helped me a lot with making my container even better. After the school project, I started the interest in designing products; I would sometimes design a product like teapot and make it out of ceramics during my art lesson. Another thing that motivated me even more are the documentaries in Discovery Channel, videos like ‘How it’s made’ was one of the favorites. It shows the whole manufacturing process of the product. Since then, I had targeted myself to become an industrial designer.

I’ve always wanted to study abroad since high school, as I’ve been researching for Universities, I realized UNSW has a good reputation and that being able to study here allows me to broaden my horizon as every day I am exposed to different cultures. The other reason why I choose to study in UNSW is because the industrial design course gives student a really thorough knowledge in designing a product, theories and all kinds of design thinking that is needed in order to think like a designer so that at the end of this course, we will have the knowledge and the right techniques in order to work in this industry.

As technology is improving quickly, I believe in the future, as an industrial designer, we will be able to design products with less concerns in the limits of materials and mechanisms; materials with only a certain properties will not be used as often since by that time we will all be able to create a material which will best fit our own products. Technologies creating better mechanisms allowing fewer limits in size for products.

2 comments:

  1. I think this is clear explaination to your career path how you have managed to find your distinct interest. Having mentioned the likings and interests you discovered during your highschool days really shows good background and reason that you'll fit well into this area. It really encorages all of us as students of industrial design that we are on the right path. After teachers comments on my own design career essay I could only say an improvement of thought for this essay is to mention more about your hoped future role in the design world.

    James Lee, link to my blog and essay:
    http://leechiehmin.blogspot.com/2010/08/my-design-career.html#comments

    ReplyDelete
  2. I understand your skills in 3D computing, therefore I think industrial design is the right path for you, afterall, i hope you can choose the correct career in the future, all the best.

    ReplyDelete